WHITEHORSE – The Yukon T1D Support Network is set to partner in the development of a territory-wide Type 1 Diabetes Strategy. Yukon Party MLA Scott Kent introduced a motion creating such a strategy during Opposition Private Members Day. The motion that passed unanimously calls for completion of the strategy by September 2022.
The development of the strategy will include consultation with a number of partners including:
- Persons who live with T1D.
- The Yukon Medical Association.
- An adult endocrinologist.
- A pediatric endocrinologist.
- A pediatrician.
- The Diabetes Education Centre.
- The Diabetes Research Institute Foundation Canada; and,
- Other partners identified through the Yukon T1D Support Network.
“I am pleased to see the strategy take this important step forward,” said MLA Scott Kent who has been working with the Yukon T1D Support Network for several years. “Now the real work begins to consult on the strategy that will benefit all Yukoners who are affected with this disease.”
Wednesday's motion follows Yukon Party efforts to advocate for several initiatives involving the T1D community.
The strategy also follows through on a Yukon Party commitment made during the recent 2021 election campaign.