WHITEHORSE – At a time when the Liberal government is conducting a survey of Yukoners to see if they support the Southern Lakes Enhanced Storage Project, Yukon Energy is running biased social media advertisements that only promote the benefits of the project, with no mention of the negative impacts it will have on homeowners along the southern lakes.
These biased government ads do not mention the concerns that have been raised by these residents who will be directly affected by this project, some of which include:
- Lack of transparency on the overall cost of the project
- Lack of clarity around cost recoveries and energy savings
- Higher risk of flood on waterfront properties
- Decreased property values
- Concern over increased insurance rates
- Lack of clear public information on alternative options
By failing to share both positive and negative impacts for a project this significant, the Liberal government is trying to influence Yukoners to give them an answer they want, rather than allowing Yukoners to consider both sides of the argument before making a decision.
The Liberal government needs to ensure the integrity of the consultation by putting a stop to these biased ads meant to influence the outcome of the survey. The Liberals need to ensure all affected or interested stakeholders are treated fairly in the decision-making process going forward.