WHITEHORSE – Today, the Yukon Party Official Opposition announced that, in the interests of Yukon taxpayers, it will rent an Ottawa condo for Premier Sandy Silver.
During the month of December the Premier spent $2513.55 of taxpayers’ money on hotel rooms in Ottawa. At the same time, the going rate of a luxury condo in downtown Ottawa is only $1700 a month.
By renting a condo for the Premier and his many forays to Ottawa, the Official Opposition will save Yukon taxpayers $873.55 per month, or almost $10,500 per year.
Details of the Premier’s new home away from home are below:
- Located at 530 Laurier Avenue West in Ottawa, the condo is on a street named after former Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier, a choice location for any Yukon Premier concerned more about what Liberal Prime Ministers think than what is good for Yukon.
- A nice open concept layout with new laminate flooring in the living room and dining room is perfect for hosting the Federal Environment Minister to discuss your plans to force a carbon tax on Yukon families.
- A corner unit decorated in neutral colours, this unit is ideal for any politician unwilling to take a position critical of Ottawa when it unilaterally cuts transfers or shuts down Arctic Offshore development without consulting Yukoners.
- A large balcony facing west provides the perfect spot to watch the sunset while contemplating why you signed a Health Transfer Agreement that resulted in $1 million less in much needed money for Yukon health care.
- A large master bedroom with 3 piece ensuite and walk-in closet is roomy and provides excellent comfort while you rest up after a fun night of celebrating at the Liberal Party of Canada’s Christmas party.
- With access to an indoor swimming pool, sauna, and gym, residents of this unit will find their daily stresses, such as breaking a key election promise to have all contracts tendered by March 31st, melt away.
- The party room and onsite billiards is great for entertaining guests as you discuss your record of unilaterally firing an entire housing board.
- The 24/7 door man and concierge is dependable and working even when the Yukon Government has refused to bring the Legislative Assembly back to work for a record 6 months.
The savings realized will help offset a little of the deficit budget Premier Silver is planning on tabling.
Making this announcement on April 1st at the beginning of the fiscal year should give the government enough time to plan for the estimated savings.
Pictures of the condo are available here: http://www.ottawarealestate.ca/listing/1042678-530-laurier-avenue-w-unit607-ottawa-ontario-k1r7t1/